Writing & Rhetoric Center

Right here. Write now.

GWR Information for Postbaccalaureate Students

A graduate student seeking a Master's Degree or a teaching credential must fulfill the GWR within his/her first quarter of residency in order to be advanced to candidacy. 

Postbaccalaureate students may want to meet with an advisor before attempting to satisfy the requirement in case they meet alternate criteria for GWR substitution.  For example, postbacclaureate students who earned an undergraduate degree at an institution within the CSU or UC systems may request that their profile be updated (contact the University Writing & Rhetoric Center Office). And, graduate students who earned an undergraduate degree at a university outside the CSU or UC systems may be eligible for a GWR substitution based on alternate criteria.  (Please note: currently we do not accept passing scores on the CBEST, CSET, or TWE as substitution for the GWR.)  

If you are required to fulfill the GWR, there are two options for doing so:

  1. Pass the Writing Proficiency Exam (WPE)
  2. Enroll in a GWR-approved upper-division course and earn a C grade or better

*Graduate students interested in registering for the WPE should contact Marikay Pannone in the Writing & Rhetoric Center office (Kennedy Library, Room 202A; 805.756.2067).



Related Content

Upcoming Events

Writing Consultations 

Sept. 23 - Dec. 12

Fall Quarter WPE Dates 

October 10, 13, & 16

*Click here for WPE preparatory resources.


Writing Consultations

The University Writing & Rhetoric Center offers free writing consultations to all Cal Poly students. Students may visit one of three locations and work with a consultant for thirty or sixty minutes.  *Note: the center is no longer located in Building 10, Room 138; the center's main location is now in Kennedy Library, Room 111C. Click here for more information.

English Placement

The CSU determines four levels of English placement based on multiple measures of students' pre-college performance. Students placed in both Category III and Category IV are required to complete a two-quarter stretch sequence of English composition. Category IV students are also required to complete Early Start English prior to enrolling in the two-quarter stretch sequence. More information is available here.

Graduation Writing Requirement

The GWR must be fulfilled by all Cal Poly students who are seeking a degree, including a Master's degree or teaching credential.  Undergraduate students must complete 90 units before they can fulfill the requirement and should fulfill the requirement before the senior year.  Visit the GWR page for more information.